On this Page:
Kalamazoo College uses assistive technologies to help disabled students and staff access resources in virtually or on campus in classrooms and in the Library. The following resources are available for students:
Assistive Technologies for Distance Learning
Office 365 Assistive Technologies
Kalamazoo College offers Office 365 to all students, faculty, and staff. Select from the Office 365 resources below:
- Disability Answer Desk – Disability Answer Desk is where customers with disabilities get support with Microsoft Office and Windows. This includes product issues, accessibility questions, and use of assistive technology.
- Windows Accessibility Help – This page provides a full list of Microsoft resources separated into four categories including vision, hearing, dexterity & mobility, and focus.
- Using a screen reader with Office apps – Users can select the specific Microsoft app they are using to gain more support on accessible features for that given app paired with the specific operating system you are using.
- Using keyboard shortcuts with Office apps – For users with mobility or vision disabilities, keyboard shortcuts can be easier than using the touchscreen, and are an essential alternative to using a mouse. Here you’ll find links to most keyboard shortcut articles for apps for Office.
Assistive Technologies On-Campus
Resources for the Visually Impaired:
- Enlargement of Text – There are two Optelec Clear View 300 document stations located in the Upjohn Library Media Viewing rooms A(212) and B(217). They can be moved to classrooms as needed.
- Enlargement technology for Laboratory Experiments – There are document cameras from Sony and Elmo that attach to 27-inch monitors for laboratory experiments. This allows a student to zoom in or out on an object and focus to their liking.
Resources for the Hearing Impaired:
- Closed Captioning – All television monitors mounted in classrooms have closed captioning capabilities. Additionally, several mounted Data projectors in classrooms also have closed captioning capabilities.
The Division of Student Development coordinates resources and accommodations for students with disabilities. Please visit disabilities.kzoo.edu for more information.