On this Page:
Microsoft Teams has built-in chat functionality in multiple ways. Since Information Services is still in the early process of implementing Microsoft Teams for faculty, staff, and student use please view the specific documentation below from Microsoft to learn about chats and channels through Teams at K.
For additional documentation on other Teams features, visit the Microsoft Teams IS page.
Desktop Instant Messaging
K Information Services also maintains a real time collaboration server for instant messaging and provides Pidgin and Adium chat programs (clients) on faculty and staff desktop computers.
Pidgin is installed on faculty and staff Windows computers by default. To download and install on your home computer, visit the Pidgin download page. The following instructions work the same for on-campus and off-campus connections.
- Locate the Pidgin app in your Start menu and open it.
- Click the Accounts link at the top and select Manage Accounts
- In the Accounts popup, Click the Add… button
- On the Basic tab, set
- Protocol: XMPP
- Username: your shortform KNET username (e.g. jdoe)
- Domain: knet.kzoo.edu
- Resource: Spark 2.6.3
- Password: your KNET password
- On the Advanced tab, set
- Connection security: Require encryption
- Connect port: 5222
- Connect server: im.kzoo.edu
- File transfer proxies: proxy.eu.jabber.org
- click Add
Adium (Mac OS)
Faculty and Staff Mac users may request chat client Adium by contacting the Help Desk.