On this Page:
- Webmail and Email Access
- Connecting Email to your Mobile Device
- Tips for Managing a Full Inbox
- Additional Webmail and Email Instruction
- Email Requests
- Course Section Distribution Groups (Class Aliases)
- Distribution Lists
Webmail and Email Access
Faculty and staff are provided Microsoft Outlook on their campus desktops whether it is run through Windows or Mac. Faculty and staff also have webmail access.
Webmail access is provided to students, faculty, staff and emeriti.
What is Webmail?
The Kalamazoo College email system is Microsoft Exchange. Webmail (a.k.a. Outlook Web Access or OWA) provides access to your Exchange email messages, calendar and contact information using only a web browser. It provides most of the functionality of installed Outlook or other email client software. If you need secure access to Exchange when away from your primary personal computer, Webmail can provide it.
For Windows PCs and Apple/Mac systems, webmail works with any modern browser.
Logging into Webmail
- Launch your browser
- Go to the Kalamazoo College webmail login page.
- Login using your KNET ID and password
- E.g. User name: k12ab34
Connecting Email to your Mobile Device
Additional Set-Up Information While Using the Outlook Mobile App
Information that may be necessary when setting up your mail account includes:
- If asked what type of account you are setting up, pick Exchange. If you are using the Outlook mobile app, it should automatically discover you are using an Exchange account by typing in your email.
- Email Address: This is in the FirstName.LastName@kzoo.edu (mailto:FirstName.LastName@kzoo.edu) format. For example: John.Doe@kzoo.edu (mailto:John.Doe@kzoo.edu)
- Mail Server: webmail.kzoo.edu
- Domain: knet.kzoo.edu
- Please note that this is sometimes shortened to simply KNET. For example, if you see a field asking for DOMAIN\Username, the format would be KNET\jdoe.
- Username and Password: Enter your username in the format email@example.com. Use the same password you use for Webmail.
For more detailed instructions on setting up Outlook for iOS devices, please visit Microsoft’s Set up email in Outlook for iOS mobile app page.
For more detailed instructions on setting up Outlook for Android devices, please Microsoft’s Set up email in the Outlook for Android app page.
Your account can also be manually configured for the built-in mail client on your mobile device (i.e. Apple Mail or Samsung Mail). Android devices can differ when manually configuring your college account. Most Android phones have their own flavor of mail client, typically built by the manufacturer. Even Apple devices can differ slightly because of minor tweaks Apple has made over the years. Generally, if the mail app supports Exchange mailboxes, you can use the information above to configure your account.
For Apple devices, you can follow the Add an email account to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch support article to manually configure your account.
For Android devices, the process can usually be initiated inside of the built-in mail app. If you are opening the mail app for the first time, it should greet you with a selection of account types. Again, if Exchange is an option (it typically is), select it. If you already have an email account set up for your built-in mail app, there should be an option to add an additional account inside the app.
Tips for Managing a Full Inbox
- Refrain from using email to send and accept large files. Try other available methods for file sharing
- Archive older items or set up auto-archiving
- Use Conversation Cleanup to delete redundant messages
Additional Webmail and Email Instruction
- Outlook help center – A searchable help center covering the basics and intricacies of Microsoft Outlook.
Do you want to request an additional email such as a distribution group or shared mailbox? Email the Help Desk at HelpDesk@kzoo.edu to start your request!
Course Section Distribution Groups
How to Manage a Distribution List
There are two methods you can use to manage membership of a distribution group you own.
Method 1: Webmail
To manage group membership using webmail:
- Sign in at webmail.kzoo.edu
- Click “Settings” (the gear in the upper right corner) and choose > Options
- Click “Groups” on the left
- Use this interface to add or remove members from the distribution group
If you have trouble, try a different browser like Internet Explorer or Safari. If you have further trouble, please contact the Help Desk.
Method 2: Windows Address Book
Faculty/staff or students who manage distribution lists may update the membership list from any Windows computer on campus. Students may log in to a Windows computer in any campus computer lab.
- Click Start
- Select All Programs
- Go to Microsoft Office
- Choose Microsoft Outlook 2010.
- Student lab users, continue through the default steps to configure your account.
- Click the Home tab near the top left of the Outlook window.
- Click the Address Book button in the top ribbon of the Outlook window.
- Make sure “Global Address List” is selected in the drop-down box beneath “Address Book.”
- Using the Search field, type the first few letters of the distribution list you wish to manage.
- Double-click the listing for your distribution list.
- Click “Modify Members.”
- Use the Add and Remove buttons to add and remove addresses.
- Click OK when you’re finished.
How to Use a Distribution List
- Begin addressing a note, and click on the “To…” button
- A dialog box will appear (see below). Change the drop down list “Show Names from the:” to be “K Email Groups”.
- Choose the desired distribution list from the alphabetic list